Over 10 months, we are celebrating 10 years in business by highlighting 10 organizations committed to helping women succeed… And asking you to donate (at least) 10 bucks to each of them.
This month, in the spirit of Mother’s Day, we’re celebrating the incredible work of Black Mamas Bailout campaign by National Bail Out.
In their second Mothers Day initiative, The National Bail Out’s Black Mamas Bailout campaign is collecting donations to help Black families who have been hurt by mass incarceration. Although Mothers Day has passed, the cause that Black Mamas Bailout fights for is not exclusive to one day.
While The Sentencing Project reports the rate of imprisonment of Black women has decreased by nearly fifty percent between 2000 and 2014, Black women are still jailed at rates twice that of white women. Brooklyn Bail Fund explains, “The inability to afford bail forces people to plead guilty just to get out of jail, even when they are innocent, or in cases that are weak or involve unlawful arrests. If they don’t, they may spend months behind bars awaiting trial. And while pleading guilty lets them go home, they carry a criminal record for life. Poverty robs them of the presumption of innocence and their right to a fair trial.”
In order to combat this, National Bail Out’s goal is to “push against mass criminalization” by providing bail funds for Black community members who can’t afford to pay bail. The support doesn’t stop upon their release. National Bail Out provides additional financial assistance after the community members are released from jail. Since May 2017, National Bail Out has received donations from over 14,000 people, bringing nearly 200 people home to their families and communities, where they belong.
Help us celebrate in the most meaningful way possible—by supporting an organization dedicated to bringing black families together by working against oppressive prison practices.
- Check out the Black Love Bail Out Toolkit and learn more about how you can participate in bail out initiatives in your local community.
- Follow Brooklyn Bail Fund on Facebook—keep up to date on all the work they’re doing and events they’re organizing to end cash bail.
And even though the warm-and-fuzzies you’ll get from making a donation are of course thanks in and of themselves, we’ve got a couple of things up our sleeves as well:
- Email us proof (to firstname.lastname@example.org) of your donation (of at least $10) to the Black Mamas Bailout and (with your permission) we’ll list your name and a link to your business below.
- Send us proof (to email@example.com) of your donation to any organization we feature and you will be automatically entered to win a super-special surprise (we’ll select a winner at random in December, once we’ve completed all 10 features).
- Anyone and everyone who donates a minimum of $10 to all 10 organizations we feature and sends us proof (to firstname.lastname@example.org) will get an extra-extra special gift from us (in addition to 10 entries for the super-special surprise referenced above).
- Cody McBurnett (that’s me!)
- Your name here?